Bellingham Power Choice
Welcome to Bellingham Power Choice, the Town of Bellingham’s municipal electricity aggregation program.
Electricity aggregation is a form of group purchasing in which a city or town selects an electricity supplier on behalf of its residents and businesses. The program impacts the electricity supply charges on your utility electric bill. Bellingham developed the program as a way to provide price stability and cost savings to the community.
All National Grid and Eversource Basic Service customers in Bellingham will be automatically enrolled in Bellingham Power Choice unless they choose not to participate, or opt out.
- If you participate: Your electric utility (National Grid or Eversource) will continue to deliver your electricity, fix power outages, and bill you, but they will no longer be your electricity supplier. Instead, Bellingham will choose your electricity supplier. Bellingham has negotiated a 9-month contract with NextEra Energy Services for 8.680 ¢/kWh. Your utility electric bill will show this as your electricity supply rate. Delivery charges will be unaffected by this program.
- If you do not participate: Your electric utility will remain your electricity supplier. This is known as Basic Service.
Bellingham Power Choice offers participants two options:
- Power Choice Standard: This is the default option. All program participants are automatically enrolled in Power Choice Standard. Like Basic Service with National Grid and Eversource, Power Choice Standard meets the minimum Massachusetts requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- Power Choice Green: This option allows you to make your electricity 100% green with a focus on locally produced renewable energy. Power Choice Green includes 20% from new renewable energy projects in New England, in addition to the 12% required by Massachusetts law.
Bellingham has negotiated an electricity supply price that is below both National Grid and Eversource Basic Service winter rates at program launch. However, the program price is fixed for 9 months while utility residential and commercial prices change every six months, and industrial prices change monthly. As a result, the program price will likely not always be below the the Basic Service price.
The Power Choice Program goal is to deliver savings when compared with the average of the utilities’ changing Basic Service prices.
The program offers two new alternatives to utility Basic Service: Power Choice Standard and, for those who wish to make a more significant commitment to renewable energy, Power Choice Green, which is 100% green. Learn more about program options and pricing.
Bellingham has negotiated a 9-month contract with NextEra Energy Services. Your electricity supply price will not change in that time. (Utility Basic Service prices change twice a year or more, depending on rate class.)
All program terms are public, and there are no hidden costs.
Your relationship with your electric utility
Your primary relationship for electricity will remain with your electric utility (National Grid or Eversource). Participating in Bellingham Power Choice changes only your electricity supplier and the rate you are charged for the electricity supply portion of your bill. Beginning with your first bill after program enrollment, you will see NextEra Energy Services printed as a line item for supply services, and you will see the program rate for your electricity supply rate. Otherwise:
- Your bill will continue to come from your electric utility (National Grid or Eversource).
- You will continue to send bill payments to your electric utility (National Grid or Eversource).
- You will continue to call your electric utility (National Grid or Eversource) if your power goes out.
If you are eligible for a low-income delivery rate or fuel assistance, you will continue to receive those benefits as a participant in Bellingham Power Choice.
How to join the program
All eligible residents and businesses will be automatically enrolled in the program. Eligible customers included residential and commercial utility Basic Service customers within the geographic boundaries of Bellingham.
New in town? New Bellingham residents who become new Basic Service customers are eligible to participate in the program.
- If you are a new National Grid Basic Service customer, you will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out. If you do not opt out, you will be automatically enrolled.
- If you are a new Eversource Basic Service customer, you will be automatically enrolled in the program, and then you will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out at any time.
As an alternative, contact NextEra Energy Services at 1-855-419-5465 and ask to join.
Adding an electricity account?
- If your account is a new National Grid Basic Service account, you will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out. If you do not opt out, your new account will be automatically enrolled.
- If your account is a new Eversource Basic Service account, your new account will be automatically enrolled in the program, and then you will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out at any time.
Have a contract with a different electricity supplier? You will not automatically be enrolled, but you may participate in the program if you wish. We recommend that you carefully check the terms and conditions of your supplier agreement. Your ability to terminate your agreement with your supplier may be restricted. If you decide to join the program, contact NextEra Energy Services at 1-855-419-5465 and ask to join.