Nantucket PowerChoice Program
Welcome to Nantucket PowerChoice, a Town electricity program that gives Nantucket residents and businesses an electricity supply alternative to National Grid, providing the benefits of price stability, cost savings, strong customer protection, and increased competition.
The program is a municipal electricity aggregation, a form of group purchasing in which a municipality selects an electricity supplier on behalf of its residents and businesses. Through a competitive bidding process, the Town secured a 12-month contract with Agera Energy for 9.13 ¢/kWh, which began in March 2017. This price impacts the electricity supply charges on your National Grid electric bill.
PLEASE NOTE: Although the source of the island’s electric supply is now Agera Energy, National Grid remains Nantucket’s electric utility company, and continues to deliver electricity, fix power outages, provide customer service, and handle billing.
All National Grid Basic Service customers in Nantucket will be automatically enrolled in Nantucket PowerChoice unless they choose not to participate, or opt out.
- If you participate: You will see Agera Energy and the program price under Supply Services on your National Grid bill beginning the month after you are enrolled. Delivery charges will be unaffected. (If you are not a National Grid Basic Service customer, you will not be automatically enrolled, but you are invited to opt in. To opt in to the program, Contact Agera Energy directly at 1-855-973-2788.)
- If you do not participate: You may opt out of the program before being enrolled or any time enrollment with no penalty. National Grid Basic Service customers who do not participate will remain on National Grid’s Basic Service rate. Learn how to opt out.
The Town has negotiated an electricity supply price that is below current National Grid Basic Service rates. However, National Grid residential and commercial prices change twice a year or more, depending on rate class. Nantucket PowerChoice will eliminate that seasonal volatility with a fixed program price, but that price may not always be below the National Grid Basic Service price. The program goal is to deliver savings when compared with the average of the changing Basic Service prices across all 12 months of the contract with Agera Energy.
The competitive procurement process ensures a vetted, transparent alternative to National Grid’s Basic Service with no hidden costs.
Nantucket PowerChoice offers two alternatives to National Grid’s Basic Service:
- PowerChoice Standard: This is the default option. All program participants are automatically enrolled in PowerChoice Standard. Like National Grid’s Basic Service, PowerChoice Standard meets the minimum Massachusetts requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- PowerChoice Green: This option allows you to make your electricity 100% green with a focus on locally produced renewable energy. Specifically, PowerChoice Green includes 20% energy from new renewable energy projects in New England, in addition to the 12% required by the state in 2017. (“New” renewable energy projects came into operation in 1998 or after.)
Your relationship with National Grid
Your primary relationship for electricity will remain with National Grid.
- Your bill will continue to come from National Grid.
- You will continue to send bill payments to National Grid.
- You will continue to call National Grid if your power goes out.
If you are on a budget plan or are eligible for a low-income delivery rate or fuel assistance, you continue to receive those benefits as a participant in Nantucket PowerChoice.
How to join the program
At program launch in March 2017, residents and businesses eligible at the time were automatically enrolled. Eligible customers include residential and commercial National Grid Basic Service customers within the geographic boundaries of Nantucket.
Have a contract with a different electricity supplier? You will not be automatically enrolled in the program, but you are welcome to join. Before joining, we recommend that you carefully check the terms and conditions of your supplier agreement. Your ability to terminate your agreement with your supplier may be restricted. If you wish to join, contact the program electricity supplier, Agera Energy, at 1-855-973-2788 and ask to join.
New in town? New Nantucket residents who become National Grid Basic Service customers are eligible to participate in the program. You will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out. If you do not opt out, you will be automatically enrolled. You may also contact the program electricity supplier, Agera Energy, directly at 1-855-973-2788 and ask to join or opt out.
Adding an electricity account? You will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out for that account. If you do not opt out, your new electricity account will be automatically enrolled in the program.