Opt up to receive cleaner electricity
By choosing the Chelmsford Choice Greener or the Chelmsford Choice Greenest option, you will receive more, or all, of your electricity from clean, renewable sources like the sun and the wind.
Massachusetts state law requires that all electricity must include a minimum amount generated by clean, renewable sources. Both the Chelmsford Choice Greener and Chelmsford Choice Greenest options will give you more: Chelmsford Choice Greener gives you another 40%. Chelmsford Choice Greenest gives you all of your electricity from clean, renewable sources.
Using renewable electricity is important because energy sources like the sun and the wind do not create air pollution and they do not release the gases that cause climate change. Burning fossil-fuel energy sources like gas, oil, and coal, does.
Chelmsford has prioritized buying renewable electricity from New England. This means that when you opt up to either the Greener or the Greenest option, you help to:
- drive the development of new renewable energy projects in New England by increasing demand for the electricity generated by those projects
- reduce personal and town-wide greenhouse gas emissions
- support regional renewable energy businesses and the jobs they create
- reduce New England air pollution
Both the Chelmsford Choice Greener and the Chelmsford Choice Greenest options also offer:
- a fixed electricity supply price through November 2025
- consumer protections, including the ability to change program options (or to opt out) at any time at no cost