Lexington’s Community Choice Program
Welcome to Lexington’s Community Choice program, a Town electricity program that increases the amount of renewable energy in your electricity to 100%.
|You are invited to a public information session to learn more about the program:
The program is an electricity aggregation, which is a form of group purchasing in which a city or town selects an electricity supplier on behalf of residents and businesses. Under this program, Eversource will continue to deliver electricity Lexington, but Lexington will now use a competitive bid process to choose its own electricity supplier. Participating in the program will give you a new rate and a new electricity supplier on the supplier services portion of your Eversource electric bill.
To launch the program, Lexington has signed a contract with Agera Energy that will be in effect from July 2017 meter reads until December 2018 meter reads.
New clean-energy choices
The program offers three new alternatives. Two provide 100% renewable energy:
- 100% Green: 100% renewable energy. Provides least 17% from renewable energy projects in New England, which is 5% over the minimum required by the state. Eversource Basic Service customers will be automatically enrolled in 100% Green.
- New England Green: 100% renewable energy, all generated by projects in New England. To choose the New England Green option, call Agera Energy at 1-855-973-2788.
The program also offers an option if you do not want 100% renewable energy:
- Basic: Meets Massachusetts minimum renewable energy requirements. Does not include any additional renewable energy. To choose the Basic option, call Agera Energy at 1-855-973-2788
Participating in the program
As provided by state law, all Eversource Basic Service customers will be automatically enrolled in the Lexington Community Choice program with their July 2017 meter read, unless they choose not to participate.
If you already have an agreement with an electricity supplier, you will not be automatically enrolled, but you can join the program with a phone call. To join, call Agera Energy at 1-855-973-2788 and ask to be enrolled.
If you participate, the program price will apply to your electricity use beginning in July 2017, and you will see two changes on your Eversource electric bill beginning in August 2017:
- Agera Energy will be listed as your electricity supplier
- The program price will be used to calculate the supplier services portion of your bill.
Otherwise, your primary relationship for electricity will remain with Eversource. This means:
- You will continue to receive one bill from Eversource
- You will continue to call Eversource if your power goes out. Eversource will continue to deliver electricity, restore service after an outage, and maintain the poles and wires.
- If you receive net metering credits on your Eversource bill from solar panels, those will continue to be calculated on the Eversource Basic Service rate, not on the program rate.
- If you are eligible for a low-income discount, you will continue to receive that discount.
If you do not wish to participate
You may opt out of the program before being automatically enrolled or any time after enrollment with no penalty. If you choose to opt out, Eversource will continue to be your electricity supplier, and the supplier portion of your electric bill will remain on the Eversource Basic Service rate.
You may opt out online or by calling Agera Energy at 1-855-973-2788.