Sutton Power Choice Program
Welcome to Sutton Power Choice, the Town of Sutton’s municipal electricity aggregation program.
Electricity aggregation is a form of group purchasing in which a city or town selects an electricity supplier on behalf of its residents and businesses. The program impacts the electricity supply charges on your National Grid bill. Sutton developed the program as a way to provide price stability and cost savings to the community.
All new National Grid Basic Service customers in Sutton will be automatically enrolled in Sutton Power Choice unless they choose not to participate, which is known as opting out.
- If you participate: National Grid will continue to deliver your electricity, fix power outages, and bill you, but they will not be your electricity supplier. Instead, Sutton will choose your electricity supplier. Sutton has negotiated a 12-month contract with Public Power, LLC, for 8.472 ¢/kWh*. Your National Grid bill will show this as you electricity supply rate. Delivery charges will be unaffected by this program.
- If you do not participate: National Grid will continue to be your electricity supplier. This is known as National Grid Basic Service.
Sutton Power Choice offers participants two options:
- Power Choice Standard: This is the default option. All program participants are automatically enrolled in Power Choice Standard. Like National Grid Basic Service, Power Choice Standard meets the minimum Massachusetts requirements for integrating renewable energy.
- Power Choice Green: This option allows you to make your electricity 100% green with a focus on locally produced renewable energy. Power Choice Green includes 20% from new renewable energy projects in New England, in addition to the 12% required by Massachusetts law.
Sutton has negotiated an electricity supply price that was below National Grid Basic Service winter rates at program launch. However, National Grid residential and commercial prices change every six months, and industrial prices change monthly. As a result, the program price will likely not always be below the National Grid Basic Service Price.
The Sutton Power Choice program goal is to deliver savings when compared with the average of National Grid’s changing rates.
The program offers two alternatives to National Grid Basic Service: Power Choice Standard and, for those who wish to make a more significant commitment to renewable energy, Power Choice Green, which is 100% green. Learn more about the pricing and energy mix for each option.
Sutton has negotiated a 12-month contract with Public Power, which extends from January 2017 meter reads through January 2018 meter reads. As a program participant, your electricity supply price will not change before your January 2018 meter read. National Grid prices change twice a year or more, depending on rate class. All program terms are public, and there are no hidden costs.
Your relationship with National Grid
Your primary relationship for electricity is with National Grid. Participating in Sutton Power Choice changes only your electricity supplier and the rate you are charged for the electricity supply portion of your bill. Beginning with your first bill after program enrollment, you will see Public Power, LLC, printed as a line item for supply services, and you will see the program rate for your electricity supply rate. Otherwise:
- Your bill will continue to come from National Grid.
- You will continue to send bill payments to National Grid.
- You will continue to call National Grid if your power goes out.
If you are on a budget plan or are eligible for a low-income delivery rate or fuel assistance, you continue to receive those benefits as a participant in Sutton Power Choice.
How to join the program
All new National Grid Basic Service customers in Sutton are automatically enrolled in the program after receiving a notification letter, unless they choose to opt out. Eligible customers included residential and commercial National Grid Basic Service customers within the geographic boundaries of Sutton.
Have a contract with a different electricity supplier, or did your contract just end? You will not be automatically enrolled in the program, but you are welcome to join. Before joining, we recommend that you carefully check the terms and conditions of your supplier agreement if it is still in place. Terminating your agreement with your supplier may incur penalties or fees. If you wish to join, contact Public Power directly at 1-800-830-2944 and ask to join.
New in town? New Sutton residents who become National Grid Basic Service customers are eligible to participate in the program. You should receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out. If you do not opt out, you will be automatically enrolled. This process may take several months. If you would like to join more quickly, you may contact Public Power directly at 1-800-830-2944 and ask to join.
Adding an electricity account? You will receive a letter in the mail explaining the program and your right to opt out for that account. If you do not opt out, your new electricity account will be automatically enrolled in the program. This process may take several months. If you would like to join more quickly, you may contact Public Power directly at 1-800-830-2944 and ask to join.